Ready for your Fall move?
Updated: Mar 23, 2022
Where has the time gone? Summer is over, but many people are still scheduling last-minute moves before the fall is in full swing. Even though moving can be an exciting time, it can also be overwhelming.
Here are five professional tips to ensure a smooth move:
• Packing strategies are crucial to a successful move. Pack your least essential items first and important things last. Fill a box with moving day essentials like paper plates, medicine, paper towels, toiletries, all documents related to settlement and closing of homes, checkbooks, and a list that includes your movers’ contact information in case of emergency.
• Have a plan for your furniture. Draw up a floor plan for where items will all go in the new home so that the movers know exactly where they should place all the furniture. This preparation will save you time and money and help you avoid injury or item damage when the heavy-lifters are gone. Also, label your boxes on each side so that your movers know exactly where to unload your items when they are stacked.
• Donate items to charity. There are many local charities where you can donate items that you no longer need before your move. Everyone wins in this case, and you won’t have to pay to have unnecessary items boxed or brought to your new home.
• Schedule elevator access. If you are moving into or out of a condominium or apartment building with elevator access, you may need to reserve use of the elevator for a block of time on moving day. Typically, buildings have a 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. slot and a 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. slot open for such uses. Check with your condominium or apartment building to see if there are any blackout days where moves are not allowed.
• Clean out your fridge. Unplug, defrost and dry out your refrigerators and freezers at least 24 hours before the move day. You won’t have to worry about it among the shuffle. Additionally, avoid packing liquids as they can expand, explode and ruin other items you’ve packed. These simple steps can make a huge difference in moving to a new home. And, with good planning and the support of a skilled and professional moving team, you can easily make sure your move is a stress-free experience.